The Fellowship is open to submission by BIO members. In the spring of 2018 BIO will award either one $5,000 or two $2,500 fellowships based on the judgment of the following panel: Kate Buford, Deirdre David, and Marc Leepson.
The Fellowship is restricted to support of works of biography, e.g. not of history, autobiography, or memoir.
Please email us the following as a PDF file no longer than three pages in length:
1) Your name
2) The title of your current project
– include details of its current status, e.g., whether it is under contract to a publisher or whether it is under development as a proposal.
3) A brief summary of the project
4) The anticipated result of receipt of a travel fellowship
– explain whether the fellowship will lead to completion of a proposal, a chapter in your biography, or completion of the work.
5) Details of where you wish to travel and why
– explain how such travel is relevant to completion of your project, whether a proposal or a biography in progress. If you wish to travel to places where your subject lived or worked, please provide relevant details. Please be as specific as possible about how traveling to a particular location will enable your biography to develop the importance of a sense of place.
6) Details of your proposed budget
– you should provide an estimated cost of travel and of possible housing.
7) An abbreviated c.v.
– providing details of your education, published books (if any), and current employment (if relevant).
Please submit your application to:
Vice-President, Biographers’ International Organization